Format of letter writing-Formal Letters with examples
2 months ago in Education
Formal letters are used for official purposes. Both formal and informal letters are used for the purpose of conversation in writing for different reasons. Informal letters are letters which are written using informal languages and are usually used for conversing with your family, friends and relatives. In case of formal letters, a clear and serious language is used for communicating.
What is a formal letter?
A formal letter is one that follows certain patterns and rules. These letters are written to businesses, seniors, authorities, dignitaries etc. A formal letter can be defined as one:
· written for official reasons
· The tone is polite as well as serious but with clear expressions.
· Consists of letters written to officials, school principals or teachers, public authorities, institutions, etc.
Formal letters can be categorized into different types- order letters, letters of inquiry, promotion letters, complaint letters, order letters, recovery letters, sales letters etc. As far as the format of the letter is concerned, there are various ways of writing a formal letter. However, the most common format is given below.
What is the format of a formal letter?
You need to follow certain conventions while writing a formal letter. Unlike informal letters, a formal letter has to be brief but it has to be clear and precise. The letter should not be longer than needed. Also, do not make use of any informal language in the letter. Below is the common format that one can follow while writing an official letter.
· Address of the sender- The first part of the letter has to be written on the right-hand side corner of the paper. You need to mention clear and accurate address along with your pin code. The recipient can send you a reply in your address if he/she wants.
· Date- Once the address is written, you need to write the date below it. The date has to be the date on which the letter is being written. The official letters are recorded, therefore, it is important to write the date.
· Address of the receiver- On the left-hand side of the page, you need to write the address of the receiver, which means the address to whom it will be sent. In the first line of the address, make sure you mention the position or title of the receiver.
· Greeting- In this, you have to greet the receiver of the letter. Greetings have to be formal because it is a formal letter. You can use the terms ‘respected sir/madam’. If you know the person, you can term it as ‘Mr. XYZ’ or anything else. You have to write the full name.
· Subject of the letter- In the middle of the line, you have to write the reason for writing the letter or the subject of the letter. Use ‘’colon’’ while writing the subject. Basically, you state down the purpose of the letter in just one line. This will help the receiver to understand the purpose of the letter in the very first instance.
· Body of the letter- This is the main part of the letter which should be divided into paragraphs. Keep in mind that you cannot use any flowery language. The tone should be serious and formal. Describe your content in brief so that you can include all the major points of concern. The gesture has to be respectful no matter the subject.
· Ending the letter- After writing the letter, you need to end the letter with the words like- ‘yours sincerely’ or ‘yours faithfully’. This has to be written on the right side of the line.
· Signature- Below yours faithfully, you have to put your full signature. And then you have to write your name in block letters. This will help the recipient to know who the sender of the letter is.
Examples of a formal letter
Some of the examples of formal letters are as follows:
Example 1. Sample on the letter of inquiry- In this, you need to give a short introduction about yourself, mention the institute name if you know, write the reasons for your inquiry, Mention your doubts and queries in a clear language and also request in writing the deadline by which you wish to get the information.
16, Panchsheel apartments
January 15th, 2020
Subject- Enquiry about NET Tutoring classes
I am writing this letter with reference to your advertisement on ‘The Telegraph’ regarding NET coaching classes. I have completed a Master’s degree in Political Science. I wish to join your institute for NET classes.
Kindly let me know how can I apply for the classes and what is the eligibility criteria. I will be grateful to you if you kindly mention the date of the entrance exam, the mode of study, monthly fees and the study materials.
Your early response will help me to get enrolled in your esteemed institution.
(MR. or MS. XYZ)
Example no 2. Letter of Complaint- For example, you have brought certain products but haven’t got the quality or quantity as promised to you by the seller. In such a case, you will either want your refund or a replacement. This is when a letter of complaint is written. The format will be as follows:
6/25, Cossipore Road
January 15, 2020
Layers of Leather
30, Purnima Street,
Subject- Complaint against order no S/45-456S-2245
This is with reference to the order number S/45-456S-2245 which I had placed on 23rd December 2019. The order consisted of leather jackets and leather bags. As per the earlier conversation, we were supposed to receive the products within 31st December. Firstly, the products were not delivered on time and secondly the quality and the color of the bag did not match with the selected ones.
We had to face a lot of complaints from our clients due to color and quality issues.
We would be highly obliged if you ensure us a replacement by January 20th, 2020 or give us a refund. Kindly look into this matter as soon as possible because our reputation depends on our customers.
Example No 3 – Sales Letter
Sales letters are written for the purpose of letting the clients know about a new product that has been launched. The intent for these letters is to sell a product. It helps in offering about certain discounts and in sales promotion. The format is given below with an example. Use formal and respectable languages. Be conscious of the targeted customers and write the letters accordingly. Avoid using any slang.
18, Circular road
January 15, 2020
30, Kindergarten Street
Subject- Availability of a new loan scheme on automobiles
We are glad to inform you that we have launched a new scheme on automobile loans for our trusted clients. As we consider you as our respectful client, we are providing all the details of the scheme.
The formalities will take only couple of minutes to complete. Also, we have kept the interest rate for your convenience. Also, this rate is lower as compared to the rates offered by the other banks. You can also sell or buy your vehicles.
You will get all the services and as fast as possible and within 24 hours. Other information’s is confidential. We will be glad to help you if you have any queries with regard to this scheme. Feel free to contact us.